Thursday, March 12, 2009

The List

As many of you know I am a dental hygienist. While working I always have a list of things I like to do for each patient and some other things I do for others in the office. I go to work, do my job, and complete my list. There is very little to "get in my way" to stop me from completing the items I put on my list. I find this very rewarding to go to work have a job and complete it.
While at home (where I am employed 27 out of 30 days) I also make lists of important things that need to take care of. there are the essentials: ie: I have to pay bills, buy groceries.

Then the I would love to.. organize clothes in the basement,

I need to but not an emergency: call the pet spa for Muchie's grooming, get an oil change.

SO I make my list and more often than not , The only things accomplished are the Essential items that if I don't do the the household would stop. For example :I will do the laundry BUT won't have time to fold the clothes.
After a few days of being frustrated by my lack of performance. I started to think about what exactly it is that I do each day that keeps me from getting things done on my list .

I started to keep track of my non -list items that I do almost everyday(i guess some of these should be on my list but they weren't)

After reviewing all the non-list items I was amazed at what I did accomplish so here is just a glimpse at VERY important things that us Moms do BUT Are not on A TO DO list:

These were the non -list items I did yesterday:
Make breakfast, convince Kaylee no chips are not a choice for breakfast. this takes about 5 min.
Make /pack lunch for Husband and 1 kid
Dress 3 kids and myself (at some point in the day 1 child will need to be redressed and you will
need to change your shirt or pants)
Had family prayers,personal prayers
Made sure 1 did get on the correct bus(although Emily helps me out on this one)
Took /picked up 1 from preschool
made lunch for 3,cleaned up lunch
Cleaned up at least 4 unexpected Accidents ie: spilt milk, writing on wall.
chased Sidney /watched sidney to make sure she doesn't fall down stairs, eat princess shoes
Called my grandma and made the time to enjoy the conversation
Called the neighbor to tell her exactly what her dog was doing(this was pretty funny)
Made a vt visit
1 kid off bus~
spend 1 on 1 time with each child to talk about there day(mind you I only have 2 that I do this
with)
Made cookies with Kaylee and 1 of her friends
Helped a friend
Made dinner/cleaned up dinner
read books to kids. Helped 1 read a more challenging book
Helped with Math homework
Gave hundreds of kisses/hugs
changed 6 diapers
e-mailed Husband a nice note
got kids ready for bed
read scriptures
read scriptures with kids
family prayers again

I don't feel like I am supper mom . These are things we are all doing. SO The next time you feel down by your lack of preforming those "on the list items"

Think about all the things you accomplished that weren't on your list and you will be amazed! Think about how you touched someone else for good. And I have found that many of my non list items are the most important!
Maybe I should revamp my To do list?
What would be on My Heavenly Father's to do list for me?

5 comments:

Jaime said...

I add things to my officail "to do list" just so I can see things crossed off on paper. I know that is dumb, but for some reason seeing it checked off makes me just feel like, yeah, I did a lot today. I loved your list. Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

Wasn't that a great activity? I did it years ago when one of my kids thought I stayed home and played. And posted it on the frig for weeks.

Ward said...

Oh I love your list! I think it's amazing what mom's really get done. You're awesome! It's so good to see little pieces of your life like this. Love Anne

Michelle said...

I love your list too. It's a great idea for Journaling. When we look back at the days when our kids were young and we can't remember because it all seems like a blur. I love the list because it is filled with acts of service and love.

The Cochran Family said...

I love love loved this post!! You are a great mamma! I don't know where you get this energy...it reminded me of a song that Hillary Weeks sang at Time out...anyway good for you!