When Bekah was 2 I started a tradition of going apple picking w/ my grandparents. Through the years the girls have always look forward to going. ANd every fall my grandma starts calling and asking "do you want to go apple picking?" She always mails me a schedule of what apples you can pick and when. This year it was different. She never mentioned it to me. Then one day I called her and asked her if she wanted to go. We made plans and she seemed excited to go.
We left early in the morning on a Saturday drove to my grandma's then to apple picking. My Aunt Linda came along. (Which was a very good thing ~me w/3 kids and my grandma w/ a walker in the orchard would've been hard.) WE HAD lots of fun. The girls couldn't wait to get out into the grove and start picking. Kaylee loves to taste while picking. Bekah is always searching for the perfect apple to pick. And little Sidney just sat in her stroller takin it all in. And my grandma with her walker was right along side us picking. It was so fun for all of us to be together.
There was one thing different about this trip to the orchard. It was without my grandpa. He loved to pick apples and he knew so much about them. I missed him in that orchard. He would always find the best apples and then take a bite right there in the orchard. He just couldn't resist.(now I know where Kaylee gets it from)
He knew how to tell all the red apples apart. They all look the same to me.
After apple picking we went to Heggy's for lunch. If you are ever in Alliance Ohio, it is the place to be for lunch. The have the best chili dogs and milkshakes. Not to mention the yummy buttered fries. This was where we always went for lunch with grandpa. He loved their chili. While picking apples and lunch was great. I really enjoyed my trip down memory lane. Its crazy how a simple thing like picking apples can bring back so may memories.
There were LOTS of other things for me to do that day... primary board meeting, yard work , never ending laundry I needed to catch up on from a crazy week. While driving there that morning I remember thinking this is like the worst weekend for me to do this. But I was so glad we went. I am so grateful that I live close to my grandma. She is an amazing women and I want my little girls to grow up knowing her and learning from her.



6 comments:
Sounds like so much fun.. I really want to go apple picking but I am afraid we missed it. Oh well the pumpkin patch will have to do. Walking down memory lane is always so much fun. I wish I lived closer to my Grandma so I could do fun things like that with her.
That was such a great post. Thanks for the reminder that I needed to take the time to do those things that are the most memorable. No one will really remember if I clean the bathroom today or next week but apple picking... now that's a memory.
Well said shelly =) Grandpa was the "apple" man. Was always so much fun going to pick apples! Im glad the girls can enjoy it now with Gramma.
ahhh you are so lucky to still live in ohio...really! Enjoy it...esp if this might be your last fall there...never now! OK I have to let you know...in that pics...Bekah looks like she is 17! I don't think there are many apple farms in Texas....thats so great that you got to spend time with Doris and Linda...I bet they LOVED it!!! You are great
You are making me miss Cleveland. I love all the fun fall things to do there. It also made me remember having carmel apples at your house.
that looks like such a blast! by the way, i hope your girls feel better soon!
Post a Comment