I'm constantly giving my kids choices. Its my way of letting them "think" they have some control~ but the choices are a win -win for me. Most of the time it involves tv or food. For example : It'll be dinner time and I'll tell Kaylee you can have milk or water to drink. Or do you want your hamburger with or without a bun. Notice I didn't ask if she wanted a hamburger just how. Well today Kaylee decided to give ME a choice
she was eating a sloppy joe but wanted an additional item to eat so ....
"Mommy you have 2 choices you can give me my cereal or I will spit my food out of my mouth." (her mouth was pretty full)
Not believing that she actually said that , I asked her "what did you say honey" And she repeated herself..
Now , what do you think a calm reasonable mom would do?
Well I laughed and thought that clever little devil. I gained my composure b/c she really shoudn't suggest spitting her food out. Then I told her she had a choice, If she spit her food out she would go to time out. She said "Oh". She finished her sloppy joe. After asking nicely was given a bowl of cereal.
Sometimes as a mom I need to look at a situation from an outsider looking in. Most of the time the things that make me mad could be really funny to someone else. Moms we most never loose our sense of humour. If we do our sanity will be next!
Like the time a year ago Bekah decided to potty train Kaylee. They were locked up in the bathroom for a really long time. Too long, I should've known something was up. Then all of a sudden there was water coming out of my can lights (all 9 of then) at the same time. I was freakin out. When I realized that it was from the bathroom I started just yelling at the kids . You know like a raging Lunatic. The water was almost to my ankles. The toilet way over flooded and NOBOdy came to tell me.
But now looking back its just plain funny.(the kitchen survived)
I hope you enjoyed the humor!
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Choices
Posted by Shelly at 8:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
LOL-too funny! I get way too uptight when it comes to parenting-thanks for the reminder.
how hilarious... Children are our entertainment in love.. you have to love them..and yes you have to laugh to keep your sanity.. I find myself laughing more and more these days.
kids are soooo smart! Cute stories! The potty training story is great, never heard that one! Guess, what I may be going back to work.,..
I can see I am OLD and getting OLDER. I never did understand this "choice" concept in small children...altho your child might be not small. But you have to be a better mom than I was. I am kinda the one who says, This is how it's going to be until you are old enough to decide for a principle. It worked for me up to a certain age and my kids survived and I survived. But good for you for finding humor. And for keeping your sanity.
My advice to you, today in my over the top bad mood? DO NOT BE A LANDLORD...NEVER RENT FOR FREE and above all DO NOT TRY AND BE KIND TO THOSE YOU DO! They'll do you in every time.
Post a Comment