March 13 was a typical March day. I woke up got ready to go for a run when I noticed a voice mail. I listened and I heard the news. My almost 86 year old grandpa passed away. I thought I would be relieved. He had been in and out of the hospital and had multiple health problems which he had suffered from for a while. The news broke my heart. I wasn't sad for him because I know he is out of pain and is with all of his friends and family who have gone on before him. And you know what they say " He is in a better place". I am sad because for the past few years I watched this strong feisty man become a man who relied on diaylisis to live. I was sad that my grandma lost her companinon of 62 years.
All of my childhood memories of the man he was before he was sick and his speech slurred from strokes flooded my mind. I remembered those days when my grandpa would push me on a swing. Take us (my brothers and I) camping and cook the best home fries for breakfast. When we would spend a week every summer in Canada fishing and playing games. He made the best homemade spaghetti sauce. I remember riding in his blue van listening to Ann Marry and Johnny Cash on the old 8 track. I wanted to hold his hand and let him lead me around his garden. He was always there for all my big life moments cheering me on. When I graduated from college and got my first new car a Ford Explorer he said he was proud of me. Proud b/c I got a Ford. He didn't like foreign cars. I loved to talk to him about politics and world events. I loved hearing his view on things. We shared lots of talks. He was a member of the greatest generation. He served in the Marines in WWII. But when asked about the war he would say "you don't want to hear about that". He was very black and white. And if he didn't like something he didn't apologize for it. When he met my husband for the first time he said he liked him and he was a good one. And I knew he meant it. He wouldn't of said it if he didn't. And even though he wasn't a member of my church he always respected our views and sometimes even agreed.
So the past couple days my mind has been some where else. I've been back to the good old days when I was my grandpa's little girl. And there was no dialysis, walkers, slurred words and unfinished thoughts. And I have to admit back in the real world I've seem a little out of it.
I love this man and will miss him.
He wasn't perfect and neither am I--- He worked hard. Loved his family and his country.
He was a Good Man.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
A Good Man
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment