Memorial day is like the kick off party to summer. Most have the day off. Everyone fires up the grill, works in the yard and visits with friends/ neighbors.In the midst of all this, I hope we will all take time to remember and teach our kids what today is REALLY about.
Many of the blessings and freedoms we have are because people are willing to fight and die for our country. I'm so thankful for those who do serve and have served in our nations armed services. I'm also grateful for their families. Behind every solider there is a family who worries, prays and hopes to see them soon. These families sacrifice a lot and sometimes everything.
My Father-in -law died while serving active duty in the Marines. This left my Mother -in -law widowed with 5 kids under 8. Eric being the oldest. She did a great job raising her 5 children on her own. They paid the greatest price~ they lost their dad.
In our home we do the typical Memorial Day celebrations. We also carve out a little time to tell our girls the story of Grandpa Hal and how he died while serving our country. It is our way of remembering and teaching our children what this day is really about. So fire up the grill, make some potato salad, play some back yard games. Count your blessings, say a prayer for those serving and remember all those who sacrifice everything for all of us.




5 comments:
AMen! I appreciate this post. I think that those of us that have not family directly been affected by loosing a loved one to service are slow to pay thanks...I love that you do this with your girls.
thats a great tradition to have in your family! I love Holidays and the opportunity they present for us to create memories and teach our children
Thanks for the reminder. I, all too often, forget the meaning of holidays like this one. Thanks again!
get ur tx on
I appreciate this entry. My dad was with George Patten's tank corp...up thru Africa and into Italy. He died when I was 4 months old and I was always told it was from the rigors of war. No one is left to tell me about my birth father, nor my 2 stepdads...but their stories are in my heart...and I will try and tell my grandkids about them. Thanx again.
Post a Comment